[f-nsp] Foundry source-nat problem

Mike Lott lists.accounts at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 15:01:07 EST 2007

Hi

You need to enable HTTP Header insertion which also requires setting
up a dummy URL switching policy. It's a bit long-winded but goes
something like this (I administer a ServerIronGT setup, so YMMV).
Please note this is from memory so might be slightly askew...

Set up the dummy switching policy as follows:

conf t
url-map dummy1
default 0

Now, to your "server virtual" configuration add the following lines:

port http url-map "dummy1"
port http url-switch
port http request-insert client-ip

The best thing to do now in order to test that the header is indeed
being added is to use tcpdump on the connection from the backend of
the Foundry box, to one of your real servers (i.e. run tcpdump on the
wire on one of the backend servers). I'm not going to go into the
particulars of tcpdump here as it is very powerful, and as such, can
be fairly complicated. There are plenty of resources out there...
<http://dmiessler.com/study/tcpdump/>

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there :) You have to add this to the
log format on the application servers you are using, otherwise they
won't pick up the IP address. For example, I have been tinkering with
Nginx (<http://nginx.net>), and under the server directive in the
nginx.conf, I have to add the line "$http_client_ip" so that the
header will be looked for and the IP logged.

Whether the log format of whatever application you are using supports
the header "Client-IP" is another thing entirely.

HTH

Mike