[f-nsp] Best NMS for Foundry gear?

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Tue Feb 27 16:51:25 EST 2007

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Bruce Rodger wrote:

> > I've never found any software that does good host-to-port mapping
> > tho...regardless of the hardware manufacturer.
>
> We use netdisco - www.netdisco.org - it's open source, and works
> reasonably well in our mixed Foundry/3Com environment. The only downside
> is that it uses CDP and/or LLDP to determine topology. I hacked in some
> FDP support, but it needs more work.
>
> So you may have to enter the topology information manually - ie port1/1
> on switch X is connected to port 2/2 on switch Y. But once that's in
> place (and it's a one-time job) the IP-MAC and MAC-port mappings are
> extremely useful.

Incidentally, if anyone else is using Foundry with Netdisco, and want
better SNMP support for Foundry devices in SNMP::Info, then drop me a
note.  I've been looking at making some improvements in this area lately
and am keen to talk to others who may be able to help, test, etc.

(Am also fiddling with Netdisco and 3Com edge kit too, for anyone
interested in that too).

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services