[f-nsp] [ServerIronXL] accessing VIP from real server

Nils Domrose nils at domrose.net
Mon Jan 22 14:51:14 EST 2007

Hi,

I think even different vlans will not solve the problem,
you will send a packet with the source of one smtp server  and
destination IP VIP to the SiXL.
The SiXL will rewirte the destination Address based on the
loadbalancing algorithm and send out the packet to one of the real
servers bound to the VIP.
The Server will recieve a packet with source IP of the original
requesting server and his own address as destination.

Since both servers (requesting real server and target real server)
are in the same IP network and vlan, the answer will be send to the
requesting real server directly.

Since it is also most likely that the requesting server will recieve
his own request via the VIP i think the only option is to use source
NAT to ensure that traffic is always send back to the sixl.  Maybe
you can also put NAT in place so that the request is first translated
into a "external" Address before it hits the VIP - but i would not
recommend such a setup. I used to work with (if required even
conditional) smtp routes on server side if possible - but this also
depends on the software you use ;-)

Nils