[f-nsp] Fast iron to BIG iron

John McCabe [Ext. 363] johnmccabe at Rideau.com
Sun Jan 28 11:05:46 EST 2007

Here is a question.

i went through the whole site here and did not see this question son i
hope its safe to post...

We are an enterprise, with about 200 computers, (users)

we have 30 servers.

for our web servers we use a serverironXL with link load balancing over
4 Ts, the server iron is amazing , we use 2 in standby mode, awesome
machines, alows me to sleep at night, our web sites HAVE to be up
24X7X365 our SLA with clients forbid us to be down.

For our Core we use a B8000 labeled as a FastIronII

our blades are as follows all fast iron class management 1 ( old stuff)

slot

1) FI8GM Fiber management card

2) FI8G Fiber card no management

3) FI8G Copper SWITCH Module ( GIG)

4) same as above

5( same as above

6) FI24E 24 port 10/100

7) same as above

8) same as above

I want to move my management card over to a BIGIRON style so i can use
ACL and layer 3 code at same time. we will use this as a

I want to use 2 - B8GMR3 management cards upgraded to 256 meg ram.

One will be a secondary management card if the first fails,

I need to know do i have to upgrade my other cards??? will this
management card still run with the other cards in the box??? can i still
use cards in slots 3 through 8, i know i will remove 1 and 2 for this
upgrade.

I will also use this as a router as all vlans will be in there own
subnets

I know that this is all EOL ( end of life)  parts but in our enterprise
we really dont need the jetcore or newer x stuff its a bit overkill.

But i do like the reliability of the Foundry, it lets us network guys
sleep at night....

Thanks

John - Up in Montreal Canada