[f-nsp] Pasting long configs using Console to MLX

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Jun 10 15:31:23 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 11:45:14PM -0700, Mike Leber wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Morten Isaksen wrote:
> > You could use TFTP.
>
> Does TFTP support sending just partial config changes to do things like
> add customers addresses or BGP sessions to routers?
>
> (Also, we don't allow SNMP write communities anywhere on our network due
> to repeated and numerous ASN.1 holes.)

TFTP does partial changes, just like if you TFTP'd a config file to a
Cisco, the downside being that if you don't want to trigger it via SNMP
you have to script a login to the box. SCP is a better way, but on older
code scping to running-config overwrote the entire thing and replaced it
with what you were uploading, which is Bad (tm). I submitted a feature
request for partial updates of the config from SCP, which I'm pretty sure
was implemented in newer MLX/XMR code, but I forget the exact version
where this happened offhand.