[f-nsp] Secondary IP addressing on VE interface doesnt work !!!!!!

Charley Kline kline at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 25 13:01:02 EDT 2007

> Hello - I am trying to add a secondary IP address to a VE interface
> configured as such :
>
> !
> vlan 30
>  tagged ethe 1/1
>  router-interface ve 30
> !
> interface ve 30
>  ip address 213.213.213.1/24
> !
>
> No I go and try to add a secondary address :
>
> ip add 13.213.213.1 255.255.255.0 secondary
>
> and get the following error -
>
> IP/Port: Errno(11) Assign primary ip address on specified subnet first
>
> I already have a primary address on the interface... so why wont it
> accept this ? Appologies if I'm having a blonde moment.. any ideas ??

On a Foundry the term "secondary ip address" refers to a second IP
address on the SAME SUBNET as the primary address. Very different
from the Cisco definition.

To put a second IP on a different subnet, simply specify another "ip
address" clause without the "secondary" keyword, and it should work
fine.

/cvk