[f-nsp] Subnet Question

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Sun Mar 25 09:59:27 EDT 2007

In order to do that you would need to route it to a specific IP
address in the first block, and your customer would have to have a
router at that IP address which then connects to the second block.
Same with assigning a /30; if your switch's IP is .1 and you're
routing the customer's blocks to .2, the device at the .2 address
would need to route at layer 3 between tthree networks.

If the customer doesn't have a layer 3 device, then assigning the
second /29 as a secondary IP is really your only option, but you may
also want to consider migrating the customer to a larger block, say
a /28 or /27, and reclaiming the /29. This can be done pretty
seamlessly with secondary IPs on your switch and his servers; just
configure the new block alongside the old and have the customer
change his DNS records when the new block is set up.

HTH,

-Chris