[f-nsp] 1G speed-duplex concept FESX

Tim Donahue tdonahue at vonsystems.com
Mon Dec 8 17:24:41 EST 2008

Niels Bakker wrote:
> * techconfig at yahoo.com (Mark Tech) [Mon 08 Dec 2008, 17:04 CET]:
>> If I want to enable port speed to 1Gbps, I get the following options,
>> telnet#speed-duplex?
>>   10-full  10M, full duplex
>>   10-half  10M, half duplex
>>   100-full  100M, full duplex
>>   100-half  100M, half duplex
>>   1000-full-master 1G, full duplex, master
>>   1000-full-slave 1G, full duplex, slave
>>   auto   Autonegotiation
>>
>> What is the difference/concept behind the master - slave config?
>
> http://kc.forticare.com/default.asp?id=3780&Lang=1 came up in a quick
> google search, you may find it enlightening - especially the bit about
> autonegotiation being required for 1000baseT by the IEEE

Although there may have been improvements in auto-negotiation, the
following statement from the article is untrue:

'The notion of “auto-negotiation is unreliable” can no longer be
substantiated.'

Considering in the past 6 months I have run into 4 endpoints that had
auto-negotiation issues, I would argue that statements like this are not
definitive and are not necessarily correct.  Given, all of this
equipment was connecting at 100 Mb, not 1Gb, but there are times when
specifying your port speed is necessary.  I would say that in 99.9% of
cases auto-negotiation is reliable, but you may run into times when
there are issues.

(The end points had issues connecting to both Foundry and Cisco switches
on different cable paths including a regular patch cable.)

Tim