[f-nsp] FES-XE Performance Q

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Tue Dec 9 10:34:39 EST 2008

* jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com (Jason J. W. Williams) [Tue 09 Dec 2008, 08:17 CET]:
> I have somewhat of a general performance question regarding the L3
> performance of the FES-XE line. Foundry is claiming 80 MPPS, but I
> assumed that was a marketing number that would degrade with smaller
> packet sizes. My rep is telling me that that is the performance even
> assuming 64-byte packets. Is that everyone's experience with Foundry
> gear? Just having trouble believing it because at 64-byte packets that
> would be CRS-1 performance.

Pretty much, yes.  Of course with CRS-1 and IOS-XR you get an actual
chassis-based router with router features such as fully-featured MPLS
and enough memory to carry multiple full routing tables with room for
growth and 'continue' in route-maps* and linecards and upgradability and
a forklift to install it.

I'm glad that Foundry tends to publish Mpps numbers for 64 byte frames
and not do the "double all numbers and call it full-duplex" marketing
stunt that Cisco is so often guilty of.

	-- Niels.

*) Actually currently broken in IOS-XR. :)