[f-nsp] Foundry and Cisco UDLD different?

Christian Bering CB at nianet.dk
Mon Jan 7 12:50:11 EST 2008

Hi Mike et al,

>From: foundry-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net on behalf of Mike Allen

>UDLD is what you are enabling by using the link-keepalive commands.  It
>references Uni-Directional Link Detection, and this is incompatible between
>vendors, as there is no universal standard.

Bugger.

There's some DWDM equipment in between the two boxes and we had a bad MUX that meant the signal was too weak in the one direction. The Foundry that received the signal saw the interface as down (-31 dBm) but was still sending out light so the remote end (Cisco) kept the interface up.

A situation where UDLD would have come in handy.

Oh well - thanks for the answers.

-Christian