[f-nsp] RSVP signaled MTU on XMR?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jan 17 20:56:08 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 11:45:46AM -0500, Kevin Hodle wrote:
> Foundry support has indicated that the 'ipmtu' statement in the LSP
> definition is only relevant to the local router and that they do not
> support RSVP signaled MTU at this time. The problem here is that there
> are no interfaces in the path between the ingress & egress with an MTU
> of 1500, so I have no idea where it is getting this value from. Is this
> a default value that can be changed? I would hate to think that this
> value is somehow hard coded :)

I don't think that 1500 is an offical default according to the spec, but
Juniper seems to use it as such if you don't configure RSVP path-mtu
signaling.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos84/swconfig84-mpls-apps/id-13749.html

Specifically:

A Juniper Networks transit router that does not support MTU signaling in
RSVP always propagates an MTU value of 1500 in the Adspec object.

Foundry might do something similar, though I can't actually find any
Foundry command to show the Adspec Path MTU. You do have protocols mpls
path-mtu rsvp mtu-signaling configured on both of your Juniper's right? :)