[f-nsp] per vlan/ve mrtg-graphs / snmp-counters on the Netiron MLX

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Jan 20 20:27:15 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 09:59:08PM +0100, Gunther Stammwitz wrote:
> Hello colleagues,
>

> I'm trying to graph vlans or virtual interfaces (VEs) using mrtg on th
> Netiron MLX but am not succesful.
>
> Mrtg is detecting the virtual interfaces but the speed is missing. After
> fixing this mrtg is working fine but the counters are staying at zero.
>
> Any idea how to get this working?

It doesn't. This is probably the single most requested feature from
Foundry users I speak to, but the offical party line is that they have no
plans to implement it since "you can just get this data from sFlow"
(sampled of course). There is a layer 2 vlan counter on newer platforms
(like MLX/XMR), but it doesn't distinguish inbound/outbound, so it doesn't
help for most applications.

I have some fairly old and dirty code floating around (as an extension to
the sflowd example implementation for my libsflow project) which
replicates subinterface counters out of sflow data, if anyone wants to
play with it. Note that it ONLY replicates subinterfaces (i.e. if you have
port GigabitEthernet1/1 and GigabitEthernet1/2 both with vlan 123, it only
generates data for GigabitEthernet1/1.123 and GigabitEthernet1/2.123
counters, but not as a Ve123 counter).

To download:

Get libsflow from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libsflow/
And dev ver of sflowd from http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/sflowd-0.95.tar.gz

I don't know why I'm bothering to mention this here, it's far from the
most user friendly piece of code out there (its intended as a reference
example for using libsflow, not as an end-user application :P), but there
it is. Its also complicated by Foundry's irrational ifIndex grouping
inconsistancies between platforms and versions. I suppose if there is some
interest I could whip up a simple SNMP agent interface to the sFlow data
(to be a little more generic, this code is currently designed for directly
outputting to rrdtool, which clearly doesn't work for everyone :P).

Any interest?