[f-nsp] Getting started with ServerIron 4G

Chris Price cprice at its.to
Thu Jan 31 13:36:31 EST 2008

Hi there;

I'm a complete novice with the Foundry line and am having some
difficulties with the hardware and slb setup docs.

My scenario is very simplistic; hot standby ha, vips and real servers on
one subnet, HA sync over a dedicated x-over network cable.

I followed the instructions for setting up hot standby ha in the slb
guide and seem to have everything working fine;

- show server backup on each node indicates one active node and one
passive node
- reload or poweroff of active node puts standby active
- adding real servers to active node sees them appear on standby node

What I am missing is a 'floating gateway' IP address. Currently my real
servers have the ip address of one of the LB's (the normally active
node) set as their default gateway so that I dont end up with a DSR
scenario.This of course breaks the instant I turn off the normally
active node and the IP goes down. I fully understand the need for a HA
gateway IP, I'm just starting to poke at these boxes and start from a
simple base case and add more capability as I go.

My question is; how do I configure a 'floating gateway' IP? The manual
implies its VRRP or VRRP-E, but the 'router vrrp' (per the slb guide)
command subset is apparently not available on my 4G's ?

TIA,

Chris