[f-nsp] BigIron 4k with JetCore

Jeroen Wunnink jeroen at easyhosting.nl
Mon Jul 14 06:16:44 EDT 2008

Might want to take a look at the free cam entries and check if
they're not very low (sh cam-part det)
We've had some issues with the L3 cam getting very low and cpu
spiking. Re-assigning some L2 cam space to L3 cam space resolved
this. ('cam-partition l2 7 l3 68 l4 25' for example is what worked
out good for us)

Also look if you're not running low on the max. amount of ip routes
or hitting the max. amount of ip cache settings ('sh ip route' and
'sh ip cache'), the default is set to something like 140000, setting
those 2 to 400000 helps a lot. ('system-max ip-cache 400000' and
'system-max ip-route 400000'), this can be another reason for high CPU spikes.

Take note that every 4 gigabit ports on a Bigiron Jetcore modules
share the same CAM space, so if you're running low on CAM on a
certain set of ports it may indeed be a good idea to share the load
between more port sets.

 From the foundry CAM whitepaper:
JetCore ASIC:

The JetCore products are composed of the JetCore "building blocks,"
the IGC and the IPC.  Each IGC supports four Gigabit Ethernet ports,
and each IPC supports 24 Fast Ethernet ports plus one Gig port.   As
an illustration of how the IGC and IPC are used, the FWS4802 consists
of two IPCs linked together.  An 8-port Gigabit module has two IGCs,
and the FI2404 module has one IGC and one IPC.  Each IGC or IPC has
its own CAM space.

Each IPC or IGC has 1Mbit of CAM for FastIron modules or 2Mbit for
BigIron modules.  Therefore, a J-BxG has 4Mbit total, a J-FI48E has
2Mbit, and a J-B16GC has 8Mbit.