[f-nsp] Connection over SI XL slow, pls help :(

Pug von Stardock milamb0r at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 20 12:18:19 EDT 2008

Hi,

I want to use 2 ServerIron XL (stackable) for redundant loadbalancing 2
http-proxies.
Anyhow, i'm new to this and run into a lot of problems i just want to begin
with a small config, but i still got trouble with connection speed.

I just configured the basics with 1 SI:

Current configuration:
!
ver 07.4.01T12
global-protocol-vlan

server real proxy0 79.45.16.86
 port http
 port http url "HEAD /"
 port 8080
!
server real proxy1 79.45.16.87
 port http
 port http url "HEAD /"
 port 8080
!
!
server virtual Proxy-VIP 79.45.16.70
 port http
 port 8080
 bind http proxy0 http proxy1 http
 bind 8080 proxy0 8080 proxy1 8080
!
vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
 no spanning-tree
!
enable telnet authentication
enable telnet password .....
hostname LB1
ip address 79.45.16.76 255.255.255.192
ip default-gateway 79.45.16.65
ip dns server-address some-dns-ip-configured
snmp-server community ..... rw
snmp-server contact zip
snmp-server location zip
clock summer-time
clock timezone gmt GMT+01

thats really basic i think, 1 Net (79.45.16.64 255.255.255.192), 2 server
directly connected to the SI (port 9 and 10), 1 uplink (port 15, i although
tried "server router-ports 15"..didnt make a change)

Now the Problem:
Transfering data from proxy0 to proxy1 and back is ok and fast, about
11Mb/s.
But downloading a file on proxy0 or proxy1 from the internet is terrible
slow, bout 150Kb/s :(

If i connect the server directly with the uplink i can get the full speed of
my hoster, bout 8Mb/s.
Whats happening??
I think the SI acts here like a normal switch for the real servers, why is
it that slow?
Its not usable for me :(

Perhaps interessting: if i download something here at home from the VIP, the
speed seems to be better, i cant absolutly say cause of my slow line here at
home.

But speed from servers connected to the SI and using its uplink port to the
internet is very very slow.

Anyone can pls explain that for me? Im in desperate need of help here..

Greets,
Jens