[f-nsp] Putting full internet routing table into a VRF on an XMR

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Fri May 30 10:24:58 EDT 2008

  Anyone tried putting the global routing table into a VRF on an XMR?
It appears as though the max # of routes supported is 262K or so,
which won't last long of course.  Do folks generally do 'internet
routing' in the default VRF instead?  I've got a multi-service network
(VRFs, VLLs, VPLS, IPv6 in future) and the only thing that has been in
the default VRF are my core OSPF and BGP sessions, which are used to
build LSPs for my MPLS transport layer.
  If I was to put the global routing table in the default VRF, my core
routing 'stuff' would be exposed somewhat, which naturally is
undesireable.  The reason for wanting the full table is to offer it to
end customers (I know, I could multi-hop them elsewhere) and simply to
make smarter routing decisions closer to the edge of the network.
  How have other folks been doing this?  Or do they simply have a
physically separate network for Internet purposes and do MPLS stuff on
a different one?  Any experiences would be appreciated.

David