[f-nsp] Ethernet router suggestion required

Colin Horsington colin at horsington.com
Tue Sep 2 08:23:19 EDT 2008

Hi All,
Like Basile we use a number of MLX-16 and MLX-8's in our core SP network.
 We are using a the router as a MESR with full IPv4 and IPv6 feeds along
with Multicast routing (PIM-SM in a VRF for IPTV) with MPLS (primarily VLL
and VPLS, no IPVPN yet) for metro Ethernet services and DSL backhaul.

Depending on your scaling requirements such as:
- number of BGP peers
- IPv4, IPv6, IPVPN routes
you may need to look at the XMR.  Currently we have 15 full IPv4 peers and 1
full IPv6 feed on one of our route-reflectors and it's operating at 65%
memory.  Your milage may vary.

I would recommend the MLX-8's and MLX-16's as they use common parts (fabric
and power, except fans) whereas the MLX-4 uses different fabric and power to
the larger chassis.  This makes it easier for sparing, and the difference in
cost of the chassis is not significant....

named multi-service-2) profile on 3.8 which does allow full IPv4 table (up
to 390k), full IPv6 table along with a reasonable allocation of VPLS, VLL
and IPVPN instances.

Like Basile we are using both 1G and 10G interfaces and also receive great
support directly from Foundry.  We have found the stability of MLX platform
to be good.

If you have any specific requirements or scaling questions I would highly
recommend talking to an SE.

If you really want (arguably) less value for money, you could also look at:
- Cisco 76xx
- Alcatel 7450/7750
The Juniper MX and Foundry MLX/XMR use different architectures,
understanding these differences helps with the determining the pros and
cons, but they currently have similar scaling numbers (XMR) in routes, the
MX might have an edge on number of peers.

Kind Regards,
C.