[f-nsp] sym-active VIP's & state not-healthy

arne van theemsche arnevt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 04:15:03 EDT 2008

Hi

last night we had an issue with our redundant setup of 2 serverIrons.

We have a virtual IP configured on both serverirons, with VIP health
injection into ospf. Both serverirons are connected to the same servers.
and the sym-active setup is working and has prooved it's use before.

For some reason (which is still unclear and irrelivant here) the server
iron which was master for this VIP decided the VIP was unhealthy. The
backup found the vip healthy. But due to the fact that he was the
"non-owner" he didn't inject the VIP into OSPF

if you read the manual

"Symmetric and sym-active topologies — In both symmetric and sym-active
topologies, only the owner of
the VIP (the VIP in the ACTIVE state) will inject the route. In this
topology, the ServerIron will withdraw the VIP
route when a VIP transitions from Active to Standby state. Similarly,
the ServerIron will inject the VIP route
when a VIP transitions from Standby to Active, if the VIP is healthy at
the time of the transition."

this makes logic.

You only read such articles if you've had an issue offcoure :(

I myself find this a little disapointing. Offcourse the sym-active is
there to allow failures of serverirons. But I was also in the assumption
(ok ok, never assume) that if 1 serveriron sees the VIP healthy and the
other not, the state would also change to the backup serveriron, to he
becomes the owner.

Am I seeing thins wrong this way?

kind regards
Arne