[f-nsp] Determining throughput

Chris Cameron chris at upnix.com
Tue Feb 3 14:28:30 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Harald Michl <harald.michl at univie.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On 03.02.2009, at 20:00, Chris Cameron wrote:
>
>> I may have asked the wrong question. We have a number of utilities
>> that watch our traffic come and go. My problem was that the router
>> itself (through using 'show interfaces ethernet 1/1') is showing a
>> value way off of our other methods of watching throughput.
>
> Perhaps you could specify "way off" a little bit more. Perhaps your load
> balancer shows BYTE per second and the foundry BIT per second?
> Which one is higher than the other and is there a constant factor between
> the values?

Our load balancer has a graph showing outbound throughput over 1
gigabit /second. Zenoss, using SNMP to the load balancer agrees.

The Foundry shows:
  300 second input rate: 42588967 bits/sec, 15505 packets/sec, 4.40% utilization
  300 second output rate: 253773564 bits/sec, 23796 packets/sec,
25.60% utilization

Which is 35 megabytes total. So, about 93 megabytes /second off.

Chris