[f-nsp] BigIron

Gerald Krause gk at ax.tc
Wed Oct 7 04:57:46 EDT 2009

Am 06.10.2009 20:24, harbor235 schrieb:
> All,
>
> I am looking for perfromance stats for a BigIron Jetcore, information is
> very scarce.
> I am having CPU problems and on once inteface I am seeing 350m of
> bandwidth, aggregate
> through the box is approx peak 725m. Can this box handle this?

Depends on the kind/type of traffic. The box can handle even more if it
is all hardware-based forwarding. But beware of any CPU handled traffic,
this can kill the box very quickly.

> I am seeing a good bit of jumbos as well, how does a gig interface with
> a standard mtu
> handle jumbo frames? fragment? drop? if so is fragmentation perfromed in
> hardware?

If the interfaces are L2-only the box will surely drop any frames that
causes MTU mismatches. If you have a L3 config on that interfaces the
box can fragment the packets but this is CPU handled traffic when I
remember the internals correctly. What kind of BigIron box dou you have
- IrconCore, JetCore, RX?

> Any help on good troubleshooting resources would be appreciated,
> foundry/brocade website
> sucks

Indeed, the availability of public technical information for
Foundry/Brocade sadly tends to 0 and the documents you can download
after a registration is more CLI related then it would cover such
interesting stuff like hardware specifications.

--
Gerald   (ax/tc)