[f-nsp] VSRP Question

Lazuardi Nasution mrxlazuardin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:43:57 EDT 2009

Hi Andreas,

Let say that I have some VSRP Aware L2 Switches (like EdgeIron)
connected to two L3 Switches (like SuperX) in mesh topology, directly
or via another L2 Swicthes. Every endpoint ports is associated with a
VLAN, each can be same or different with each other. The trunk ports
will bring all VLANs as 802.1Q until the L3 Switches. Every L2
Switches have more than one trunk ports for redundancy. I want to make
both L3 Switches as redundant default gateway for each VLAN, so every
VLAN will be interconnected via the L3 Switches. To have L2 and L3
redundancy, I use VSRP as protocol and want to give VRID IP Address as
redundant IP for default gateway, so I must give different VRID for
each VLAN to have different default gateway for each VLAN. Formerly, I
put all VLAN as one Topology Group and use the Management VLAN or
Default VLAN as Master VLAN for sharing the port states. I have done
of configuring VRID and VRID IP Address on Master VLAN but I have
failed to set different VRID for each Member VLAN. Somebody has
suggest me to not use the Topology Group on my case but I have not
tried it. VRRP is not enough due to the mesh topology and not all L2
Switches reach the L3 Switches directly so I still need L2 redundancy.
Any other suggestion ?

Best regards,