[f-nsp] ServerIron XL & Cisco connection issues

Eric Roach roach_eric at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 25 23:53:52 EDT 2009

Nathan,

You might want to look to see if STP is blocking your ports. I notice you are running link aggregation.

Eric

Guys,

Just wondering if someone can help here... I’ve been trying to get this sorted for a few days with no joy... I have an older ServerIron XL connected to a cisco catalyst switch and for some reason it is just not connecting at all and all MAC / ARP tables are empty. I have tried the following:

ServerIron XL:

1.       Hard coding the speeds to all combinations possible
2.       Trunking the switchport and leaving it untrunked
3.       Adding a static MAC address
4.       Changing the default vlan to 10 (same as cisco switch)
5.       Tagging & untagging the port
6.       Changing the port to vlan 10
7.       Changing the port to vlan 1 (in conjunction with the cisco switch)
8.       Connected via xover and straight through cat 5

Cisco Switch:

1.       Setting switchport mode to trunking, access and multi (all VLAN’s on the switch)
2.       Changing encapsulation to dot1q
3.       Switching to the default management vlan

From what I can see, the physical connection is fine, however, there is nothing happening at layer 2 and above???

Really keen to get some ideas here as I’ve been tearing my hair out to make this work. Interestingly, when I connected this to a firewall / switch it worked fine so it looks like it’s the combination of the cisco switch / vlan’s??

Config is below:

FastEthernet1 is up
  Hardware is FastEthernet, address is 00e0.520b.f67c (bia 00e0.520b.f67c)
  Configured speed auto, actual 100Mbit, configured duplex fdx, actual fdx
  Member of L2 VLAN ID 10, port is untagged, port state is FORWARDING
  STP configured to ON, priority is normal, flow control enabled
  mirror disabled, monitor disabled
  Member of active trunk ports 1-2, primary port
  Member of configured trunk ports 1-2, primary port
  No port name
  5 minute input rate: 3008 bits/sec, 5 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
  5 minute output rate: 395600 bits/sec, 772 packets/sec, 0.51% utilization
  4064 packets input, 870332 bytes, 0 no buffer
  Received 4417 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants
  0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 ignored
  7934 multicast
  0 packets output, 75211072 bytes, 0 underruns
  0 output errors, 0 collisions
ServerIron(config)#

SW: Version 07.3.05T12 Copyright (c) 1996-2002 Foundry Networks, Inc.