[f-nsp] J-BxGMR4 and BGP + Bandwidth

Gregory Agerba gregory.agerba at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:07:20 EDT 2010

Chuck,

A full route is about ~ 300k routes. A BigIron 4000 (with JetCore IV
management) can handle two full BGP tables and 5 eBGP peers ~ 700k routes
with just no problem. There was even some free memory.

You can make sure you will be able to load them with no issues. The issue
that you may run in is more related to CPU and CAM. Under certain situation
you might find your router running out of CAM, not honor/respond keep-alive
request and see your sessions dropping.

I think many people already discussed the BI4 topic on ML around. I even
know one medium French ISP that was running till not so long time ago a few
BI4 as core with up to 3 full tables.

Just my 0.002$

Gregory