[f-nsp] ALB + VRRP

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:59:38 EST 2010

I have had all sorts of different issues doing this.  The sort of issues you
have will also depend on which bonding driver you are using (Ubuntu, for
example, sometimes uses an older bonding driver than the one that comes with
the stock kernel of a given version).  I am assuming you are using the Linux
bonding driver for this in something like the balance-alb mode (mode 6).
The problem with certain kernels seems to be that when a packet arrives at
the NIC that has a different MAC address than the bond (the MAC of the
secondary slave), it is ignored.    So it does what it is supposed to do on
the transmit side (overwrites the MAC address of the bond device ... which
is the primary slave ... with that of the secondary slave ... but any
replies to that MAC address get ignored).

I have given up on that method completely and use two stacked FCX switches
with the host in balance-xor mode.  There were just too many different
problems that varied from one kernel/driver version to the next and when you
add to the mix that the various distributions tend to fiddle with things, it
quickly becomes a mess and what might work with one version breaks the next
time a kernel package is released.