[f-nsp] vlan and routing recommendations

seph seph at directionless.org
Fri Jan 29 15:44:43 EST 2010

Hi all, I've been rebuilding my network, and I've started configuring a
couple of foundry switches, and I find myself thinking there might be a
better way.

My previous network was a straightforward set of vlans with a
router/firewall between them. A pretty simple set of rules -- web
servers can talk to a handful of app server ports; app serves can talk
to a handful of db server ports. Etc.

Playing with the with my foundries (FCX624s), it looks pretty easy to
replicate that. But I wonder, would it make more sense for me to flatten
my network and use protocol based vlans?

Anyone have recommendations or whitepapers that are worth reading?

seph