[f-nsp] how to transport 802.1q-tagged ethernet over mpls without using double-tagging?

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Tue Jun 8 08:46:18 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'd like to connect two CE-switches that speak 802.1q tagged vlans
(1untagged, 5 and 10 tagged) with each other over a MPLS core.

Mpls always wants to use vlan-tag it receives on the port of the PE router
to identify individual vll or vpls-services.

How can I turn this off? I simply want to carry all the traffic including
the tags over the cloud to the edge router.

Network map:

Customer-Switch-1(CE) === vlan tags 1, 5 and 10 ==== Netiron-XMR-1(PE)
-----MPLS CORE---- Netiron-XMR-2-(PE) === vlan tags 1, 5 and 10 ===
Customer-Switch 2 (CE)

I'm using Netiron XMR routers and am willing to use either vll or vpls - it
doesn't really matter.

I've already tried to configure the port as untagged on the XMR but the
result is that the untagged default vlan works but the vlan 5 and 10 are
getting lost.

It would be simple to configure multiple VPLS end-points - one for each vlan
- but I don't want to configure each vlan the customer uses on his customer
switch on my MPLS core?

Example:

vpls VPLS-between-customer-switches max-mac 1024

  vpls-peer 10.10.10.2

  vpls-mtu 1522

  vlan 1

   untagged ethe 1/3

  vlan 5

   tagged eth 1/3

  vlan 10

   tagged eth 1/3

["vc-mode tagged" didn't help]

It would also be simple if the CE-device was able to use double tagging but
unfortunately it doesn't L In my case the CE-device is a simple HP procurve
switch that has several tagged vlans and the untagged default vlan
configured on one port.

I'm thinking on something like:

vll VLL-between-customer-switches 10001

  vll-mtu 1522

  vll-peer 10.10.10.2

  untag e 1/3

But this doesn't work L as all tags are getting lost.

What's the optimal way to achieve the transport of all 802.1tagged vlans
without configuring them on the MPLS core?

Thanks guys

Gunther