[f-nsp] NetIron MLX-4 vs Juniper MX240

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu May 6 23:33:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 09:59:31PM -0400, Scott T. Cameron wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new edge router.  It must be capable of performing
> BGP on IPv4 and IPv6, OSPF and scale to 10GbE uplinks.
>
> The two products in mind are:
>
> Foundry NetIron MLX-4
> vs
> Juniper MX240
>
> There will be no more than 10 BGP sessions in the configuration.
>
> I have had a bad experience from having early adopted the Juniper
> SRX-series firewall, so I'm not sure if I can trust their product
> lines.
>
> We already have a large install base of Foundry FESX648s and SX800s in the
> core.
>
> Anyone have experience with either?  With both?  Or any other useful
> guidance?

Juniper MX is one of the best routing platforms on the market, the only
real arguments against it are a) it's expensive and maybe you don't need
the features, and b) maybe you/your noc only knows IOS-like cli and
can't learn something new. SRX on the other hand is a very new platform
that is extremely extremely buggy. Don't try to compare the two, they
are almost completely unrelated. :)