[f-nsp] NetIron MLX-4 vs Juniper MX240

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Tue May 11 02:58:51 EDT 2010

"they seriously lack memory when it comes to dualstacking ipv6 and ipv4"

I believe that is going to be a major challenge for all the vendors
and the first one to seriously load up their gear with a lot of CAM
and not charge out the wazoo for it is going to win bigtime.

At the present time, I would not suggest to someone that they
dual-stack even if the hardware can do it.  An IPv6 route consumes 4x
the resources of an IPv4 route just to hold the address so with a
given amount of resources you are going to be able to manage 1/4 of
the routes.  That isn't so bad these days because the v6 routing table
is fairly small but consider that everyone that is currently
multihomed on v4 will probably be multihomed on v6 and will be in v6
PI space.  And it gets worse because they will probably be in PI space
in both v4 and v6 at the same time.  So it is my opinion that vendors
need to have about 5x more resources on the hardware than they
currently do.  They are still treating v6 as some future issue that
isn't a problem until it is a problem.  The only way around this in
any sustainable fashion is to have separate stacks if you are taking
full routes as the v6 routing table is likely to become as large as
the v4 table (actually has the potential to become even larger when
you consider how many routes smaller than a /32 are going to be
announced.)  We have a /44 block.  ARIN is issuing /48's.  Imagine
every single host on the current internet having its own route but
that route consumes 128 bits instead of 32.  And we are only talking
about /32 prefixes and not the more specifics that will be multihomed.

 So far I haven't seen anyone's gear that is prepared to scale to the
size that dual stacking will require once there is serious migration
to v6.  The reason is that nobody is going to give up their v4 space
and will be using both spaces for likely at least the next 10 years or
more.