[f-nsp] Odd v6 BGP issue

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Mon May 17 00:52:39 EDT 2010

Ran into an odd problem with BGP4+ and a route reflector client

ROUTER 1-------------------2620:0:5100:1::/64
|                                                    |
|                                                    |
|                                                    |
2620:0:5100:8::/64                 ROUTER
3----------2620:0:5100:0::/64-----ROUTER 4
|                                                    |
(route reflector client)
|                                                    |
|                                                    |
ROUTER 2-------------------2620:0:5100:3::/64

I am also running RIPng.

Router #4 saw 2620:0:5100:8::/64 via RIPng but not via BGP.  Router 3
was not announcing the network to Router 4 even though Router 4 is
configured as a route reflector client.

Kicked the sessions between ROUTER3 and ROUTER1 and ROUTER3 and
ROUTER2 and suddenly it began announcing the route to ROUTER4.  No
amount of clearing the sessions to ROUTER4 would result in ROUTER3
sending the route.  Once I cleared ROUTER3's upstream sessions, it
sent the route downstream.

Never seen anything like it.