[f-nsp] Mixed Network MSTP/RSTP

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Wed Nov 10 13:58:55 EST 2010

Where can I find accurate information on mixed network RSTP and MSTP
instances? Specifically, best practices on how to deploy mixed networks with
regards to placement of various devices, designation of roots, and similar.
If anyone has any anecdotal experience with regards to mixed RSTP/MSTP
environments I'd be appreciative.

We are currently running a mixed brocade/foundry network with RSTP roots
(NetIron MLX) and downstream MSTP aggregators (TurboIron). Ostensibly, I'd
love to have the TurboIron's running in a strict RSTP mode however it does
not appear this is possible

James