[f-nsp] Couple of total newbie questions About TurboIron 24x while I wait for my support to get activated.

Dunc dunc.lockwood at thebunker.net
Mon Nov 22 09:32:44 EST 2010

On 22/11/10 13:45, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We just bought a pair of TurboIron 24x switches and so far they seem to be pretty great, I am running into a few problems but I am sure you guys have seen them all before.

> I am unable to get the console port of the TurboIron 24x to communicate with my Raritan Serial Console switch, it works fine using the included serial cable from Brocade to a PC, but I need it to be accessible via the Raritan Switch.
>
> I assume there is just a certain way you have to wire the cat5 cable to make it work, has anyone figured this out yet?

Not sure about that console server.

> Does using the 4x Copper 1Gb ports on the switch disable fiber ports? If so does anyone know which fiber ports are disabled for which copper ports?
>
> I.e. if you use 25 then 1 is disabled, 26 then 2, etc? I have tested a bit and so far I don't notice any ports being shut down when I use 25, 26, 27, or 28.

If the ports are numbered 25 - 28 I think that would imply that they are
separate ports. I wouldn't have thought using port 25 would disable port
1. I've never used a TurboIron, but on for example a FastIron FESX,
ports 1-4 are dual personality, and they are called ports 1 - 4 no
matter which media is in use.

> Are the global 'IP commands' only applied to the default VLAN, or how does that work?
>
> I noticed that if I globally assign an IP address to the switch, I can access it just fine through the 'management port' but I can also access it from any other port as well.
>
> I would really like to isolate the management traffic to only the management port, has anyone figured out a way to do this yet?

You can use the keyword "management-vlan" in any VLAN to restrict
management to only that VLAN.

Cheers,

DUnc

> Anyway thanks if anyone knows the answers to any of these questions, hopefully the support administrator at brocade will add my serial numbers to their system soon so that I can ask them =)
>
> thanks,
> -Drew

- --
Duncan Lockwood
Principal Network Engineer

The Bunker Secure Hosting Limited
Ash Radar Station
Marshborough Road
Sandwich
Kent CT13 0PL
UNITED KINGDOM

t: 01304 814 800
f: 01304 814 899
e: dunc at thebunker.net
w: www.thebunker.net
PGP on Key Servers

 This email and any attachments it may contain is confidential and solely intended for the use of the named addressee(s) only. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Bunker. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that you should not rely on it or take any action based on it. You should not publish, use, disseminate, print, forward or copy this email as it is strictly prohibited. Please contact the sender if you have received this email in error and destroy it.