[f-nsp] Problem with IPv6 anycast

Wido den Hollander wido at widodh.nl
Tue Nov 30 08:15:20 EST 2010

Hi,

I've found this great mailinglist in my quest to get a redundant IPv6
setup.

I found this thread:
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/foundry-nsp/2010-September/002637.html

We recently (3 months ago) purchased two brand new RX-8's from Brocade
and had to find out that VRRPv3 with IPv6 is not supported.

One of our network administrators found out that anycast might be a
solution, well, it partially is. A Windows machine does work, but a
Linux machine won't accept the anycast address as a gateway (Or even
ping it.)

After some searching I found this thread, hoping for a solution.

Right now we are looking into using RA's with a low lifetime, but that's
imho not the thing I want, since I want some static configurations on my
machines.

Has anybody made any progress with using anycast as a gateway for a
Linux machine? Kernel tweaks / settings which make it work?

With kind regards,

Wido den Hollander