[f-nsp] Problem with IPv6 anycast

Wido den Hollander wido at widodh.nl
Tue Nov 30 09:36:20 EST 2010

Hi Philipp,

Well, In my setup it is not working.

I have a /64, where ::1 is my first router, ::2 my second and ::3 a
anycast address.

I'm trying to use ::3 as my default gateway, so that when one of the
RX-8's goes down, my Linux machines (2.6.32 kernel) still have
connectivity.

When analyzing the traffic with Wireshark I see that the RX-8 responds
to the ND with it's unicast address, the ::2 in this case.

In the original thread I saw the same behaviour:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/foundry-nsp/2010-September/002637.html

Quote:
"Now when I try to ping that address from a client within the network
2001:db8:f1:c::/64, I get a neighbour advertisement from the MLX announcing
it's UNIcast address:"

"This causes the asking client to create an entry in its neighbour cache
for the routers unicast address, but not realising, that this was the
answer to its question, hence it keeps on sending solicitation messages for
the anycast address.
In my understanding the neighbour advertisement should have the unicast
address as source, but should announce the anycast address."

That's the issue I'm seeing here too.

Strange thing is, a Windows 2k3 machine works fine with the anycast address as it's default gateway.

Regards,

Wido den Hollander