[f-nsp] MPLS feasibility

Frank Suter frnkstr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 15:15:50 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I am writing to this list, because I am using Brocade/Foundry routers and
switches. This is maybe not the most accurate list, if so, please accept my
apologies.

Here is the context: I am currently having a datacenter presence where I do
run my own AS with three ISPs, each with full BGP table and a /23 PI
dedicated to the servers and Internet access. Because this is considered as
the consolidated Internet access and datacenter, I would like to hub the
office with this connection.

Now my goal is to connect the office with the datacenter using a symmetric
100/100 Mbit link running MPLS service from my ISP. This will be delivered
as a service. Now, because redundancy is important for me, I would link to
have a second link 100/100 Mbit, but rather than asking the same provider to
secure the path, I would like to ask this to a second provider because I do
not trust one provider to do redundancy for me.

I know that each provider are using physical different path to reach the
Data Center.

Questions:

1) Can I build a redundant MPLS access with two different providers and
aggregate them together on each end? Thus having two paths of 100 Mbit
symmetric each. Possible?
2) What equipment do I need on the office side to do this?
3) How long is the convergence time to expect in case of major failure on
one of the links?

Thank you for your time and advices.

Frank