[f-nsp] BigIron RX Management Interface

Jared Valentine hidden at xmission.com
Mon Sep 13 22:07:54 EDT 2010

You actually add routes for the management module exactly like you would for an interface module. It goes in the global routing table:

ip route x.x.x.x/x y.y.y.y

Because y.y.y.y is in the same network as your management module, it gets installed as a management route and not a line card route.  The box will keep line card and mgmt module routes separate.

The gotcha here is that you can't have "two default routes". So as long as your RX doesn't have a default route already, and you don't need it to, then specifying the management module's default route would be:

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 y.y.y.y

However, if that's not acceptable then you have some other choices:

Use a static route (non-default) that points to y.y.y.y as next hop. You would have to add a static to each of the networks you want to manage from

The other choice is to just use in-band management and not use the mgmt port.

You could also use a bastion host as a hop-off point that lives in the mgmt module subnet. That way you don't need to worry about routes. The bastion host has its own default gateway.

Good luck,

Jared