[f-nsp] Odd MRP problem

Mike Hughes mike at smashing.net
Mon Sep 27 05:04:22 EDT 2010

--On 27 September 2010 01:26:31 -0700 "George B." <georgeb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, there is a LAG in the ring.  There are two 1G ports aggregated
> between two routers at one site.

Okay, so what this could be is either:

a) Failure of source-port suppression for the LAG - so usually, when a
frame arrives to a broadcast, multicast, or unknown unicast address, it is
forwarded out of all ports in that vlan other than the one it arrived on.
This behaviour is obviously modified for a LAG, so that other ports in the
same LAG as the incoming port do not get a copy of the frame.

However, I have seen this behaviour fail on some Brocade equipment (Mostly
Jetcore/MG8, I think once on RX), which causes the flooded frames to
"trombone" along the LAG. This would create lots of extra copies of the
RHPs.

It's likely to break control protocols using broadcast/multicast DAs, and
cause a lot of what looks like station movement, so look for high CPU, and
MAC addresses flipping between source ports.

b) The other option is a bad FID being programmed for the destination MAC
address for the MRP RHP, which is causing the RHPs to be forwarded out of
the wrong port on one of the switches.

Just some ideas to investigate.

Mike