[f-nsp] Route cache leak on MLX 5.0.00b ?

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 21:28:24 EDT 2011

Has anyone seen route cache issues on 5.0.00b?

I have two routers both have basically the same peers:

First one:

IP Routing Table - 349996 entries

Second one:

IP Routing Table - 350213 entries

If I do "sho ip cache" on the first unit, I get:

Total IP and IPVPN Cache Entry Usage on LPs:
 Module        Host    Network       Free      Total
      1         131     349869          0     350000
      2         143     349857          0     350000

Both units were in that state when I logged into them earlier today.

If I rconsole to either module and "clear ip cache", it clears out maybe 50
routes and that's it.

After rebooting the second unit and letting it run for a couple of hours, it
looks like:

Total IP and IPVPN Cache Entry Usage on LPs:
 Module        Host    Network       Free      Total
      1         219      16763     363018     380000
      2          54         33     379913     380000

Which is much closer to what I expected to see and is closer to what another
pair of units have after running for several weeks (notice I upped the max
on this one but that doesn't really matter).  That first unit is obviously
wacky (but as I mentioned, both units were in that state).  Another pair of
units that have been running for months:

uptime is 160 days 21 hours 40 minutes 8 seconds
IP Routing Table - 349593 entries

Total IP and IPVPN Cache Entry Usage on LPs:
 Module        Host    Network       Free      Total
      1        1021      62984     285995     350000
      2          39       1358     348603     350000

Both units were reporting stuff like this in the logs:

Apr  7 01:26:17:I:Warning: MODULE 1 - No free cache entry for new rout
Apr  7 01:26:17:I:Warning: MODULE 2 - No free cache entry for new rout
Apr  7 01:26:08:I:Warning: cannot allocate free cache entr
Apr  7 01:26:04:I:Warning: cannot allocate free cache entr
Apr  7 01:25:07:I:Warning: cannot allocate free cache entr

It sure looks like some kind of cache leak to me, like it can't reap stale
cache entries.

Anyone seen anything like this?  Looks like a reboot clears it just fine.