[f-nsp] FESX ARP problem

Randy McAnally rsm at fast-serv.com
Fri Apr 15 11:29:26 EDT 2011

I've been scratching my head all morning on some arp issues on an FESX (prem)
that routes a handful of VE's.

The scenario is that when an ARP entry expires, only certain source IPs (on
the WAN side) can trigger an ARP request and subsequent re-entry into the ARP
table.  There's no pattern for the source IP...just that some trigger ARP and
others don't.

So for example, Joe at 1.2.3.4 cannot reach his box, but as soon as Bob at
pings the machine, Joe can reach his box again.

Current table size fluctuates between 580 and 620 entries with a system-max of
4000 and there are no static entries.

#sh arp | i entries
Total number of ARP entries: 591

#sh default values | i arp
ip arp age:10 min          bootp relay max hops:4     ip ttl:64 hops
ip-arp               4000       64000      4000
ip-static-arp        512        1024       512

Any ideas?

~Randy