[f-nsp] MLXe-4 vs ASR1006 vs MX80

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Apr 26 08:37:42 EDT 2011

On 26/04/2011 13:23, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Has anyone seen any bake offs, or side by side comparisons between the
> MLXe-4, ASR1006 or the MX80?
>
> I am trying to pick a router for a small regional DC and these seem
> attractive but I don't know all of the caveats and subtleties.

MLXe-4: 400G backplane, 1m ipv4 prefixes, far faster than either the
ASR1006 or the MX80, but fewer features, particularly in terms of hqos

MX80: 60G backplane, 2m ipv4 prefixes, rich feature set

ASR1006: 5G output with ESP10, 4m ipv4 prefixes.  Rich feature set.

Really, you need to decide what you need from a router and then choose the
box which provides what you need.  These three boxes are completely
different systems with different strengths and weaknesses.  If you need raw
muscle, the mlxe4 leaves the other boxes in the dust.  If you want
cartloads of features, you'll probably need either the mx80 or the ASR1k.

Nick