[f-nsp] MLXe-4 vs ASR1006 vs MX80

Brad Fleming bdflemin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 12:49:01 EDT 2011

On Apr 26, 2011, at 8:58 AM, David Hooton wrote:

> On 26/04/11 11:53 PM, "Jose Madrid" <jmadrid2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I currently use two MLXe-16 and can attest to the fact that you are
>> not going to get anywhere near 1m routes.  More like 500K max.  FYI.
>
> What are peoples experiences with XMR's?

We operate a network with 15 XMR 4000's and have been very happy. We
pull transit feeds from 4 upstreams in geographically diverse
locations. We run OSPF internally and support IPv4 and IPv6 unicast
and multicast. We do NOT do much with L3 VPNS. Brocade has been a good
partner and helped us with special pricing on some larger projects.

Three "gripes":
1) We have all 1st generation linecards and can't get VLAN stats. Easy
way to fix it (buy new card) but we can't afford the new linecards.
2) I want to point a VLL to a non-routerID IP!
3) Regex for things like as-path filtering is poor compared to Cisco
and Juniper.
General) Documentation is FAR behind Cisco and Juniper, IMHO.

The price per port + energy consumption make the XMR a slam dunk for
our all-Ethernet network.