[f-nsp] Adjusting the TCP MSS on XMR/MLX

Frederic 'jchome' Jaeckel jchome at jc-ix.net
Wed Dec 21 08:22:21 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm setting up a intallation with 2 MLX-e chassis with XMR4000 modules where
I'm configuring multiple GRE tunnels to different endpoints, where Traffic will
come from and go to. Our provider for this requests from us that we're
adjusting packets' MSS to fit the MTU on these interfaces if packets have the
NOFRAGMENT bit set. However our provider only operates Cisco equipment in this
environment and we're using Brocade. In Cisco terms you'd use the 'ip tcp
adjust-mss <MSS>' term, which doesn't exist on Brocade and I couldn't find any
hints on that in the IronWare Documentation. So I'm asking myself (and you
know) if this is possible at all without changing the MTU on all affected
servers that use these routers for transit. Is there any commandset/solution
for this? It's in general only for forwarded packets, not for packets
originating or going to the router.

Best regards,
Frederic Jaeckel