[f-nsp] FlexLink functionality for FastIrons

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Dec 21 13:11:27 EST 2011

On 21/12/2011 18:01, Raja Subramanian wrote:
> We have a large campus LAN with +150 FI switches in a traditional 3 tier
> design with edge and aggregation in each building and a campus core. We're
> using switched edge/aggregation with routing only on the core for all our 70
> odd VLANs.
>
> Is there any way of isolating STP issues at the edge/aggregation/building and
> ensure they are not passed on to the core? I want to prevent potential campus
> wide outage due to local STP issues at the edge.

The best way to avoid problems spreading throughout a gigantic layer 2
network is not to have gigantic single-domain layer 2 network.  This may
require a substantial network redesign.

> Would this Protected Link Groups feature be something to consider using
> between our aggregation and core?

No, won't make any difference.  If you have STP problems at your network
edge causing problems in your core, then failing over to a separate path to
the core is just going to give the STP problems a different path for
spreading to your core.

Nick