[f-nsp] ServerIron XL hard coded ICMP limit

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 00:00:30 EST 2011

SSL checks are *extremely* expensive and I have run serverirons out of CPU
doing them before.  I suggested to Brocade many years ago (back when they
were Foundry) that they not generate new RSA keys each time for health
checks.  Give an option where the same key can be re-used for healthchecks
only.  This would greatly reduce the load.  I am trying to remember how I
remedied the situation but it has been years.  I think I ended up just doing
a regular http health check as that would tell me if the daemon was up and
running on the server or not.  I didn't need to verify so much that the
remote host could gen keys and the same process listened on both 80 and 443,
so I just checked 80 and assumed 443 was working too.

It has been a while, though.  Or maybe I just did a TCP check to the port to
make sure it was listening, I don't remember.  But if they had the option
not to gen new keys for each health check, it would greatly reduce load on
checks.  That suggestion is probably long down the memory hole at this
point, though.

George