[f-nsp] SNMP tricks for Load Balancers (ADX, ServerIron XL)

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Fri Jan 28 12:38:31 EST 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Drew Weaver wrote:

> Does anyone have any nice MRTG templates for monitoring things like CPU,
> memory, and connections/sessions on foundry serverironXL or ADX series load
> balancers?

These are from SI's from a few years ago, they're a part of a much larger
and uglier dynamicly generated system that started life before MRTG supported
templates....and even then, this did a lot more than that. ;)

it'll take some work to integrate this stuff into your environment.... but
the heavy lifting was done.

find these, and most of this email, here:
http://www.icantclick.org/~keen/foundrysimrtg/

start with cfgmaker -

env LANG=C cfgmaker --no-down --show-op-down --ifdesc=alias  \
  --global "WorkDir: $workdirprefix/$machine" \
  --global "IconDir: /" \
  --global "WriteExpires: Yes" \
  --global "WithPeak[_]: mywd" \
  --global "Options[_]: bits" \
  --global "LoadMIBs: /usr/share/snmp/mibs/UCD-SNMP-MIB.txt" \
  --global "XZoom[_]: 1.8" \
  --global "YZoom[_]: 1.8" \
   $string@$machine  | eval $filter > $machine.cfg

#### convert to 64bit counters here, because it doesn't Fing work right with
##  cfgmaker.
echo "fix 64bit counters"
sed -i -r "s/(^Target\["$machine"_[0-9]*\].*:)/\1::::2/g" $machine.cfg

now add what's in here:
foundry-extras-generic.template

you're going to need scripts/get-SI-data.sh, which has the magic to
extract the hard stuff.   you'll see it's used in a number of the
templates.

now generate this guy to get some more things to work from:
foundry-extras-SI.template  - I've included another copy here that has
some memory tidbits that were not generated with the script below, and so
you can see what it outputs.

# sh build-si-virtualtemplate.sh >> foundry-extras-SI.template

you'll need:
build-si-virtual-template
build-si-virtualtemplate.sh

for per-server connection details, (there some obvious naming convention
requirements) which grabs data from the SI -and- from apache for the same
graph:

si-conns.template

requires scripts/apacheconcurrentcons.sh for the apache side to work

It's overall pretty super fugly, but it got the job done.  Foundry in no
way made it easy to get some of this data out.....not that it's any easier
with F5 or CSS (actually, it is a bit easier with F5 come to think of
it...)

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html