[f-nsp] Anyone using VDX switches?

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 16:44:46 EDT 2011

Nothing in particular, just general experience with them.  Were those
deployments YOUR choice or were you called in to deploy something a customer
was sold by someone else?  Thing is, I am so far hearing pretty close to
zero buzz about the line.  I am generally excited about the idea behind the
technology, but I have concerns about the implementation.  In my
interactions with networking folks in the area, I see a lot of awareness of
the line of gear but nothing actually being recommended by my peers.  So far
the chirping of crickets (with the exception of your reply) in response to
my request seems to validate that intuition.  I hear claims from sales
people but I always take those with a healthy serving of salt.

I have an architecture that is already installed, already working, works
well, has no problems.  The VDX line appears that it will work in the
application but it is new gear with potentially new problems and while it
would save me a couple of thousand dollars, it also results in some changes
in the server design to accommodate (servers were spec'd to use 10GBaseT,
Brocade doesn't offer 10GBaseT).