[f-nsp] BigIron RX16 GRE tunnels

Patrick Topping patrick.topping at hypermediasystems.com
Thu May 19 16:26:27 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I am hoping that someone on the list might be able to help me with some
issues that I am having getting a GRE tunnel set up in a BigIron RX16,
code version 2.7.3a.

Below is the tunnel config:

        interface tunnel 1
         port-name "Arbor TMS reinjection tunnel"
         tunnel mode gre ip
         tunnel loopback 3/4
         tunnel source loopback 1
         tunnel destination 207.199.89.57
         ip address 204.1.155.14/30
         ip policy route-map TMSreinjection
         no ip redirect

        ip access-list extended EQ_LA3_TMS_Hosts
         permit ip any host 204.1.152.65

        route-map  TMSreinjection permit  10
         match ip address  EQ_LA3_TMS_Hosts
         set ip next-hop 204.1.152.33

        telnet at eqla3-fbirx16-001#  sh ip route 204.1.152.33
        Type Codes - B:BGP D:Connected I:ISIS S:Static R:RIP O:OSPF;
        Cost - Dist/Metric
        Uptime - Days:Hours:Minutes:Seconds
                Destination        Gateway         Port        Cost
        Type Uptime
        1       204.1.152.32/30    DIRECT          ve 360      0/0
        D    0:23:11:15

What I am trying to do is to get traffic tunneled from an Arbor Network
TMS system to the RX16 tunnel 1.  I know the issue is not on the Arbor
TMS side because I have 2 other GRE tunnels working to Cisco 6513
routers.  I have the physical port 3/4 set up as the tunnel loopback
interface but I do not see any traffic on the interface at all.

          Port name is "xe 3/4 - GRE tunnel loopback"
          MTU 1518 bytes, encapsulation ethernet
          30 second input rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00%
        utilization
          30 second output rate: 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00%
        utilization

I have a case opened with the Brocade TAC but I am not getting much help
yet.  I am hoping that someone on the list has experience with GRE
tunnels on the BigIron RX platform and can help me with GRE tunneling
and policy based routing.

Thanks in advance.

-Patrick