[f-nsp] Does VRRPe need explict ACLs to permit multicast

Raja Subramanian rajasuperman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 13:07:54 EDT 2012

Hi,

We use FastIron SX800/1600 devices in our network core at various locations.

The dual core switches use VRRPe for L3 redundancy. We also bind several
ACLs on the VEs to control traffic.

I'm not certain whether VRRPe requires an explicit ACL statement to permit
its multicast traffic. Ie, permit ip any host 224.0.0.2.

The configuration guides are not clear about this point.

Can someone please confirm if I should explicitly permit VRRPe traffic
through my ACLs for it to work correctly?

Thanks in advance!

- Raja