[f-nsp] Asymmetrical routing on ADX

Mike Allen mkallen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 12:38:17 EDT 2012

Drew, this is actually expected behavior, for pretty much every L3
Switch/Router I have seen.  Arp resolves ip address to mac address, and mac
address (normally) is associated with a single port (per vlan) at any one
point in time.  If you have Mac addresses moving back and forth, that is
generally a bad thing in a switched environment.  Traffic has the
possibility of being black holed, as it will be forwarded only to the port
where the destination mac address is at the instant the switch is ready to
forward.

If you are looking to duplicate the traffic across multiple ports, you need
to do a static arp entry, and possibly a static mac entry as well.  This
will duplicate all packets to that ip/mac combo, and send it to multiple
ports.  I have generally only seen this in clustering scenarios (like
Microsoft Load Balancing), not in VRRP.  In normal VRRP, there is still a
singular owner of that VRRP VIP at any one point in time, one router that
will answer Arp's, thus it should only be learned on one port, not both.
 If you are seeing it on both, it sounds like there may be a problem there.

WIthout seeing the configs, or more info, those are my thoughts, hope it
helps.

Mike