[f-nsp] LAG behavior on MLXe-4

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri Mar 9 00:30:41 EST 2012

Our transport gear's Ethernet card does not send or process LACP packets
during a soft reboot, so the transport (Active) and Brocade MLXe-4 (Active)
LAG went down during our last maintenance window on the transport network.
Tonight we changed the configuration of the Brocade MLXe-4 to passive by
using the command "deploy passive" command.  The LAG stayed up.

To test our theory that we can avoid LAG failures during maintenance on the
transport side by changing the transport side to 'Passive' or 'On/Static',
we changed the transport side to 'Passive'.  Well, the LAG went down.  I
then changed the transport side to 'On/Static' and the LAG still stayed
down.  We restored the link by returning the transport side to 'Active'.

What are we doing wrong here?  Or is there a bug somewhere?  Shouldn't the
LAG stay up in the following two configurations:
	transport 'Passive' and Brocade MLXe-4 'Passive'
	transport 'On/Static' and Brocade MLXe-4 'Passive'

Frank