[f-nsp] Preserving double-tagged traffic on ICX6100

Igor Ybema foundry-nsp at ergens.org
Sun May 6 04:35:38 EDT 2012

> - I'm not sure how that feature is relevant to our situation.  Typically the
> Q-in-Q feature is used to describe a mechanism to take in double-tagged
> traffic and deliver it non-tagged on access ports.  That's not what we're
> trying to do.

You are using jumbo frames then? I do hope so or else your max frames
will not get switched also.

> - while I think we could find a way to do that with the two other vendor
> product that participate in this double-tagged circuit, I'd rather not
> deviate from the default to compensate for this bug in ICX6100.  It's always
> mystified me why some L2 products seem to choke on double-tagged traffic
> when all it should care about is the outer tag.

Yes you are right. A switch which supports vlan's should only care
about the src mac, dst mac, (outer/first) ether type and vlan tag. It
should not in any way look into the payload of the frame. So, from
this perspective you could call it a bug what the ICX is doing.

However, with aggregated-vlan feature disabled I think it could be
plausible that the switch destroys the inner tag. It could be that the
switch is trying to be 'smart' and because it is seeing a vlan tag
which is not configured on the switch it destroyes that tag. But, when
following this thought, why this is only happening to broadcasts and
not to unicast is strange then.

So on each switch (aggregation or access) carrying q-in-q frames I
would always enable aggregated-vlan (and jumbo frames). And if I
notice strange behaviours after that, then I would call brocade and
let them figure out.

But we shall wait for Brocade to come with an answer. They, more then
anyone else, can tell us what the expected behaviour is and give us a
bugfix if needed.

regards, Igor